Monday, October 25, 2010

Escalator Fest, Part 2



The second night of Escalator Fest started off with Climax Golden Twins. They absolutely lived up to their name, providing the apex of the night right at the very beginning. CGT is two guys – one older gent playing electric guitar, a bearded dude on drums – and they give the impression that they’re just two buddies who love to jam together once in a while in a totally improvisational format. Watching them build off one another and follow each other’s leads was like witnessing the most sublime, heavy storm pulsing in the distance, growing progressively thicker and closer until you get swept up in it, so enthralled you barely realize you’re levitating.

Both guys were maestros of their respective instruments. The guitarist played with his mouth, turned the guitar around and played it backwards; the drummer waved his arms around, stood up and clutched cymbals. Thrilling to watch, transporting to hear. It was as if they’ve been to heaven and hell and now they’re back on earth, hungering to tell us all about it.

Now here’s a letdown for you – they don’t have their own music up on their website. However, you should check it out anyway for the “Victrola Favorites Listening Parlor”, which has a collection of old-timey, rare recordings. Listen to “I Wish I Was A Single Girl Again”.

The rest of the evening just couldn’t compare to the spectacle of CGT, and in fact, I felt bad for the bands that had to follow. I’ll try to find some of CGT’s music for you guys to absorb – although, judging from comments on my last post, some of my readers may not share my musical tastes. That’s okay, I’m just trying to introduce you all to some new music and expand your aural horizons. I'm glad you all aren't shy in saying what you really think!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Might not like some of your music taste but still enjoy reading your comments. When are they going to have some softer music to tell about?

Anonymous said...

Listened to "I wish I was a single girl again." It wasn't too bad. M would love it! Mama

Anonymous said...

M loves.

Anonymous said...

Makes me wanna sit on the front porch of Cracker Barrell, tip-toe thru the tulips 'n' sip sasparilla tea while a thunderstorm absolutely shreds the daylights out of daylight!

Anonymous said...

The future shines bright for one so beautiful, brave and adventurous! Your ability to "turn a phrase" leaves me with inadequate complementary babble. How about this? "You go girl!"

Kristen said...

@ Everybody: You guys all write such great comments!